Sign Up for live training with your expert :
- Describe the various hardware elements of a network (transmission media, interconnection)
- Describe the lower layers of network communication and the protocols used (@MAC, ARP)
- Set up the IP configuration of a network station (address, mask, gateway)
- Describe how the DHCP protocol works
- Describe the principle of host name resolution (Hosts file, DNS)
- Use the main network testing and troubleshooting tools
- Describe the different types of routing (static, dynamic, NAT)
This course leads to ENI certification in TCP/IP Local Area Network Implementation.
Basic use of operating systems and IT tools in general.
Any IT professional required to install and configure a local network in a TCP/IP environment.
Network technologies (1 hour)
- Scope of networks: PAN, LAN, MAN, WAN
The OSI model (1 hour)
- The 7 layers
Transmission media (0.5 hour)
- Limited media
- Twisted pair
- Optical fiber
- Unlimited media
- Radio waves
Switching techniques (0.5 hours)
Network interconnections (1 hour)
IEEE (0.5 hours)
- IEEE 802.2 :
- LLC frame format
- Types and classes
- IEEE 802.3 Ethernet :
- Access methods: CSMA/CD
- Physical layer standards
- Frame format
- IEEE 802.11 Wi-Fi
- IEEE 802.15 Bluetooth
MAN/WAN protocols (0.5 hour)
- Cellular networks
- SONET & SDH
- Remote access and VPN
History of TCP/IP (0.5 hours)
- The ARPANET network
- Organizations that contributed to the development of the Internet and TCP/IP
Overview (0.5 hour)
- Application-level services
- Network-level services
- Four-layer model, TCP/IP vs. OSI model
- Main files: hosts, services, protocols, etc.
- Internet standards bodies: IAB, IETF, IRTF
- Notion of RFC
TCP/IP protocol family – overview (1 hour)
- IP, ARP, RARP, TCP, UDP, FTP, TFTP, TELNET, SMTP, SNMP, NFS, DHCP…
IP addressing (2 hours)
- IP address format
- Address classes (A, B, C, D, E)
- Network ID and host ID
- Multi-domiciled machines, gateways
- Subnet mask
- VLSM, supernetting (CIDR)
- Resolution of IP addresses to physical addresses, ARP
- IP datagram structure
- Datagram fragmentation and reassembly
IP routing (2 hours)
- General principle
- Default routes
- Static routing
- Dynamic routing (main routing protocols)
DHCP (3 hours)
- Advantages and disadvantages of dynamic addressing
- The 4 phases of a DHCP negotiation
The ICMP protocol, error handling and control messages (0.5 hour)
- Role of ICMP
- Structure of an ICMP datagram – message types: flow control, redirection, destination unreachable, etc.
The domain name system (3 hours)
- Name resolution
- Host files
- Name servers, DNS
- Types of DNS servers
- Notion of zones and domains
- The Internet tree
- Main types of records in a DNS database
UDP, datagram mode transport (0.5 hour)
TCP, connected mode transport (0.5 hour)
- Purpose and need for reliable transport
- Three-phase TCP session opening
- Acknowledgement/retransmission mechanism
- TCP sliding window principle
TCP/IP application services (0.5 hour)
- Telnet, Ftp, Rsh, rlogin, mail…
Diagnostic utilities (0.5 hour)
Netbios on TCP/IP (0.5 hour)
- Constraints on Netbios broadcasts
- Role of the 16th Netbios byte
- NetBios Name Server (NBNS)
Socket interface overview (0.5 hour)
Securing network interconnection (0.5 hour)
- Filtering router
- Address/port translator
Teaching, technical and supervisory methods and resources
Training with a trainer, which can be followed in one of the 3 ways below:
1 – In the classroom in the presence of the trainer.
2 – In one of our immersive classrooms, with the trainer physically present at a distance. The immersive classrooms are equipped with an HD video-conferencing system and complemented by teaching tools that guarantee the same level of quality.
3 – From your home or office. You join an online training environment, using your own computer, while being physically removed from the trainer and other participants. You are totally immersed in the group, and take part in training under the same conditions as in a classroom. For more information: Telepresential – our distance learning solution.
The number of trainees can vary from 1 to 12 (5 to 6 on average), which facilitates permanent follow-up and close contact with each trainee.
Each trainee is provided with a workstation adapted to the needs of the training course, a course support and/or a reference manual in digital or paper format (for inter-company sessions, if the official course support is in English, we offer in addition, if available, a reference work from Editions ENI in digital format written in French).
For better assimilation, the trainer alternates theoretical presentations, demonstrations and practical exercises throughout the day, either alone or in groups.
Assessment of skills acquired
At the beginning and end of the course, trainees carry out a self-assessment of their knowledge and skills in relation to the course objectives. The difference between the two assessments enables us to measure their learning achievements.
In addition, certain training courses can be officially validated by a certification exam. Candidates for certification are required to put in a considerable amount of personal work in order to sit the exam, and attending the training course alone is not sufficient to guarantee a good result and/or certification.
For certain certification courses (e.g. ITIL, Prince2, DPO, etc.), the certification exam is included and taken at the end of the course. Candidates are then prepared for the exam by the trainer throughout the course.
Means of monitoring performance and assessing results
Attendance sheet, signed by each trainee and trainer for each half-day;
Qualitative evaluation at the end of the course, which is then analyzed by the ENI teaching team;
End-of-training certificate, given to the trainee by hand or by e-mail.
Training is led by an IT and teaching professional whose technical, professional and teaching skills have been validated by certifications and/or tested and approved by publishers and/or our teaching team. He or she is constantly on the lookout for new technologies, and has several years’ experience of the products, technologies and methods taught. He is present with the trainees throughout the course.
click to this link to get the cv of the expert
Meet your instructors